by Margaret R. Howard
- An up-dated version of common color patterns, including new patterns just recognized
- Pricing and cash management for new shepherds and their flocks
- How to improve your flock using a multi-trait evaluation system.
- Heritability values for desired traits
- Usage of average fiber diameter (AFD) values to improve your income
This book is designed to help both the experienced and inexperienced shepherd. It is useful and interesting with the topics woven together by Ms. Howard’s inclusion of her own personal experiences.
$45.00, plus $5.00 shipping
In I Am A Shepherd, Ms Howard takes a shepherd step-by-step through flock evaluation based upon multiple traits. Using her own flock experiences, issues of broth, fleece quality and color patterns are shown to be easily united with heritability tables. Written in a warm and easy manner, this volume is a good and productive read.
This is the first book that I’ve come across that explains to shepherds, both new and experienced, how to monitor and then find a balance between wool and lamb production traits in their flocks. Multi-trait tracking can be utilized for any measureable trait, while understanding and controlling the color genet-ics of the flock allows the shepherd to plan for both color and shade of wool and lambs in the coming year(s). This book is another huge step forward for the sheep industry!
-Dee Heinrich, Peeper Hollow